Camden is one of the best areas in London. My love for Camden was instant. I fell deep and I haven’t been able to keep away from Camden since.
Camden is somewhere I go to quite regularly when I seek a little escape from the crazy city life. Don’t get me wrong though, head to Camden at the weekend and it will resemble similar scenes of Oxford Circus, madness. But rain or shine, calm or madness, there’s just something about Camden that instantly makes me feels at home.
I believe that Camden truly is one of the most unique places to visit in London. Something you will notice almost immediately is the artistic expression covering the walls, shops, streets and the clothes of the quirky people that reside here. The come-as-you-are, hippie-land vibe takes me straight back to the haven that is Byron Bay, Australia, and I love every inch of it.
There’s a sense of real freedom in Camden.
Whether you take time out by the canals, engage in the friendly market vibes, indulge in the world class food offerings or admire the buskers on the streets… Camden will not fall short of character and entertainment. Camden is one of the places to see in London that you cannot miss on your trip, so this Camden guide will go through all the best things to do in Camden so that you have the best time!
My guide to Camden, London…
Getting to Camden…
Camden is located in North London and you can access Camden in multiple ways.
Underground: It is most popularly accessed by the London Underground, on which you’ll want to ride the Northern line North and get off at Camden Town or Chalk Farm. Both are easy walking distance from the Lock and the attractions mentioned in this post.
Train: Camden is a mere 20-minute walk from King’s Cross Station where you can connect to the rest of Great Britain and some of Europe too!
Bus/coach: National express and Megabus coaches go into London Victoria, and then you can get the bus/tube through to Camden.
Plane: London has 5 airports with flights from all over the world! Check flight deals on Skyscanner here.
Where to stay in Camden…
Since Camden is easily accessible from all over London, it doesn’t really matter where you stay!
Good hostels in London include…
- YHA London Central
- London Backpackers
- St Christopher’s Inn. Check out my experience at St Christopher’s here.
If you’ve never stayed in a hostel before, check out my top tips for hostel life here.
The best places to eat in Camden…
- KERB Market for all the street food you could ever dream of! See my guide here.
- Arancini Brothers: the best handmade Sicilian arancini in London.
- Mildreds: a gorgeous vegan and vegetarian restaurant
- Chinchin Labs: an unbelievable dessert bar and incredible nitrogen ice cream flavours!
- Daphne restaurant for incredible Greek food.
- Ma petite Jamaica for sustainable fish and seafood.
- Poppies for fish and chips.
- The Coffee Jar for coffee and cake.
- Purezza for pizza, including vegan pizza!
The best places to drink in Camden…
Camden is full of pubs and bars to visit! The best pubs and bars in Camden include:
- The World’s End.
- The Hawley Arms
- The Good Mixer
- The Lock Tavern
- Black Heart
- Lock 17.
The best places for a night out in Camden include:
- Proud Camden
- The Camden Assembly
- The Birdcage
- Jazz Cafe
But, Camden is also full of little bars and is great for a spontaneous night out, so don’t be afraid to go without a plan and see where the night takes you!
The best things to do in Camden, London…
1. Take the 15-20 minute stroll up to Primrose Hill from Camden Lock for one of the most beautiful skyline views of London
2. Wander through Camden Market and Kerb Camden Market
I bet that you won’t be able to walk through either of them without buying something that smells or looks glorious!
3. Enjoy a picnic lunch by Regent’s Canal.
4. Enjoy a canal cruise between Camden and Little Venice.
5. Go shopping at The Stables.
From vintage buys, leather custom goods and hand bags, all the way through to the tackiest phone cases known to man, The Stables has stalls to entertain you and your purse for days.
6. Get some epic Instagram shots.
From the OI! sign to the bridges and colourful houses, get some snaps to remember your time in London.
7. Catch live music and events at Proud, KOKO, Joe’s or The Roundhouse.
Other popular spots include Electric Ballroom, Dingwalls, The Jazz Cafe, The Blues Kitchen, The Fiddler’s Elbow and Spiritual Bar.
8. Peruse the vintage shops and stalls.
9. Marvel at all the street art.
Camden is one of the most creative areas in London, so it’s no surprise that there’s lots of unique street art to look at! Camden North area has lots of street art, as do Hawley Street, Castlehaven Road and Kentish Town.
10. Soak up the sun on Camden Beach.
Yes, there’s a beach in London! In summer The Roundhouse put sand out and you can pretend you’re in a tropical destination from London city centre.
11. Enjoy the green space in Regent’s Park or Hampstead Heath.
12. Visit the museums.
One of the best things to do in London is visit the museums!
The best museums in Camden to visit include…
- The Jewish Museum
- The British Museum
- Sir John Soane’s Museum
- Grant Museum Of Zoology
- Keats House
The British Library is also well worth a visit!
13. Visit ZSL London Zoo.
One of my favourite things to do in London is to visit ZSL London Zoo. I’ve been a few times, including for the ‘Keeper for a day’ experience and for a magical moonlit sleepover!